SEIU Healthcare 1199NW’s mission is to unite, build power among, and improve standards for healthcare workers and to fight for quality, affordable healthcare for all Washingtonians. In support of these goals, the Legal Team is seeking a candidate who can play a key role supporting the legal work of SEIU Healthcare 1199NW.
- Document Control
- Intake documents from organizers
- Intake legal documents, such as complaints, unfair labor practice charges, settlement agreements, and routine correspondence/documents
- Name and manage documents for easy retrieval and in accordance with document retention policy
- Investigation of contract grievances and unfair labor practices
- Prepare interview protocols for legal matters in collaboration with attorneys
- Schedule and interview witnesses (typically the Union’s members)
- Draft factual summaries
- Perform complex and varied legal clerical work involving considerable independent judgment, initiative, and accuracy
- Other duties as assigned
- Two or more years of clerical experience in a legal setting, or any equivalent combination of education, experience, and training that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Working knowledge of modern office practices and procedures
- Ability to assemble data, ability to effectively meet and work with people from diverse backgrounds/cultures, ability to handle stressful situations.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing. Strong analytical skills (writing skills tested)
- Ability to work independently, under pressure, prioritize deadlines, and handle confidential issues and materials
- Commitment to justice for working people
- Valid driver’s license, automobile insurance and a working automobile required
- Microsoft Office Suite (will be tested)
- Intermediate Word ( 60 wpm), Excel, Outlook
Send cover letter and resume to: Penny Lowry firstname.lastname@example.org
SEIU Healthcare 1199NW is an affirmative action employer and encourages applications from all qualified candidates regardless of race, ethnicity, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, or disability.
NEW Positions Building Power with a Progressive Union: SEIU Healthcare 1199NW!
SEIU 1199NW is Washington’s largest healthcare union, an independent democratic organization which advocates for strong jobs, access to healthcare for all and strong patient and client care and services in Washington’s hospitals, clinics and mental health facilities. There are NEW positions available with both existing and newly organized healthcare workers throughout Puget Sound and Central Washington.
Join a team that is doing bold worksite based organizing and bargaining for greater voice for working people and a more just society. SEIU Healthcare 1199NW is an organization that values development, engagement and growth for staff and members.
Job Description: Healthcare Organizer
Internal Healthcare Organizers: Work with existing union members to develop new leaders and activists within union chapters to bargain and enforce strong contracts, take on and win workplace improvements and activate union members in building a union voice in their worksite and their larger community.
- Your job would focus on identifying and activating leaders, utilizing strong active listening skills to determine workplace concerns and work collaboratively with co-workers and union leaders to develop and implement solutions and actions that affect change.
External Healthcare Organizers: Work with non-union healthcare workers to successfully form their union. Engage worksite leaders and member organizers around a vision of union difference and leadership that WIN union elections and first contracts.
- Your job would focus on identifying and activating leaders, utilizing strong active listening skills to determine workplace concerns and articulate a plan to win resulting in the successful GOTV of worker votes in union elections or card check campaigns.
Additional Organizational and Position Background
- SEIU Healthcare 1199NW union members are healthcare workers: from nurses who provide life-saving direct patient care to critical support staff that ensure patients are in clean rooms with good meals.
- Healthcare workers are compassionate, caring people who are fun and rewarding to engage and work with.
- Through workplace organizing and advocacy union members build respect and equity for the important, and sometimes hidden or undervalued, work done by a majority female workforce in our States’ hospitals, clinics and mental health facilities.
- SEIU Healthcare 1199NW uses a leadership model that develops the voice and skills of our diverse membership.
- SEIU Healthcare members have consistently supported and led in our larger communities social justice initiatives including; racial justice, immigration reform and affordable health care for all.
Women & candidates of color are encouraged to apply. Labor or community organizing experience preferred but not required, all positions at 1199NW offer orientation, training and development. Competitive salary and highly generous benefit package available commiserate experience. Full posting at: www.seiu1199nw.org
Applicants must submit a current resume, with references and a cover letter expressing what their commitment and interest in the labor movement is in order to be considered for the position. Resumes and cover letters should be sent to:
SEIU Healthcare 1199NW
15 South Grady Way, #200
Renton, WA 98057