Closing Date: Open until filled
Job Description: Union organizers work with our members to build and exercise power in the workplace and to advocate for better health care, racial and social justice. We are a fighting union commitment to confronting corporate power in our society. Union organizers also assist non-union workers in building unions in their workplaces.
- Recruitment: Train and support workers to take action, including organizing union drives, serving as advocates, and becoming effective leaders in the workplace.
- Racial Justice: Engage leaders in our fight to promote racial justice and combat white supremacy.
- Mobilization: Motivate and mobilize workers to stand up against injustices in the workplace.
- Lead Meetings: Meet with workers through one-on-one and group meetings, phone calls, and house visits.
- Leadership Development: Identify and develop leadership among workers.
- Legislative and Electoral Work: Recruit volunteers to participate in political, legislative, and issue-oriented campaigns.
- Lead Actions: Plan and lead actions, rallies, events, and strikes.
- Demonstrated leadership and organizing skills at work, on campus, or in the community. Experience as a union or community organizer preferred; health care experience a plus.
- Ability to build relationships and work with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures. Bilingual skills a plus.
- Work independently, solve problems, and manage time and priorities effectively.
- Can motivate, inspire and challenge workers and union members to take steps to build power in the workplace and community.
- Willingness to work long hours, including nights and weekends.
- Excellent listening, speaking and written communication skills.
- Automobile and valid driver’s license.
Compensation: Salary dependent on experience and is set per the collective bargaining agreement with SEIU Healthcare 1199NW staff union contract. Benefits include medical benefits and paid vacation time.
Supervision: Supervised by an officer of the union or designee.
Applicants must submit a current resume, with references and a cover letter expressing what their commitment and interest in the labor movement is in order to be considered for the position. Resumes and cover letters should be sent to:
SEIU Healthcare 1199NW
15 South Grady Way, #200
Renton, WA 98057
SEIU Healthcare 1199NW is an equal opportunity employer committed to organizational equity and inclusion. People of Color, women, and LGBTQ individuals are strongly encouraged to apply.