SEIU Healthcare 1199NW is the largest healthcare union in Washington State, and our mission is to win quality healthcare, social justice and good jobs for all. We are looking for an experienced senior-level communications director to provide strategic communications development and direction for union, community and political campaigns and lead our communications department. If you want to work in a fast-paced, action-oriented organization fighting for a more just and compassionate world, this job is for you.
The applicant must have at least 5 years experience working in communications for a progressive organization, elected official or union, using both traditional and online platforms.
The applicant must be an excellent team player with strong interpersonal skills, excellent writing, analytical and messaging skills, successful experience in both personnel and project management, and extensive experience in both internal and external communications.
- Leads the Communications Department, including strategic planning, budgeting, and project management, in coordination with the Officers and other senior staff;
- Directs development and delivery of campaign communications, member communications, media outreach and capacity building;
- Leads all aspects of the union’s communications including literature, advertising, social media, video, press relations and promotional items.
- Develops messaging and communications for use in bargaining, organizing, political and community campaigns in consultation with other staff;
- Coordinates with the Officers, Political, Legislative and other senior staff on political strategies, legislative priorities, polling, budgets, resource allocations, staffing, and other issues;
- Recruits, develops, trains and supervises communications staff;
- Supervises the work of communications staff and consultants;
- Stewards the brand and reputation of the union;
- Develops and directs outreach to national, statewide and local news media;
- Directs development and implementation of ways to use new technology for campaign communications and media.
- Other duties as assigned
- Reports to President and other officers as assigned.
- 5 years experience working in communications for a progressive organization, elected official or labor union;
- Deep commitment to workers’ rights, social justice and progressive values;
- Demonstrated high level of judgment and ability to take initiative and work independently;
- Extensive knowledge and successful experience in communications strategies in support of worker bargaining, organizing, community and/or grass roots leverage campaigns;
- Extensive knowledge of legislative and political communications strategies preferred;
- Experience in working with polling firms and translating polling results to effective messaging;
- Excellent writing, verbal, visual and analytical skills;
- Extensive experience using social media in campaigns;
- A positive, solutions-oriented, can-do attitude and enthusiasm for leading teams;
- Demonstrated knowledge of electronic and print media systems, advertising and messaging techniques, production of printed and audiovisual materials;
- Demonstrated ability to manage effective relationships with union leaders and staff, members, news media, and allied organizations and maintain a high union profile;
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s preferred.
- Must be available for travel. Long and irregular hours are routine;
Compensation: Competitive salary and excellent benefits
Location: This position is based in Renton, WA
To Apply: Send resume and cover letter to Penny Lowry, firstname.lastname@example.org
SEIU Healthcare 1199NW is an equal opportunity employer committed to organizational equity and inclusion. People of Color, women, and LGBTQ individuals are strongly encouraged to apply.